Sunday 7 June 2009

Dutch delights




I’ve just bought a selection of new agates from http://www.rayer-minerals.com/, the site of a lifelong Dutch collector, Henk Rayer. He has, he tells me, ‘a basement full of rocks’, including many from European countries – Germany, Hungary, The Netherlands – which are scarcely represented amongst the Formations images. One of his specialities, still well represented on the site, used to be drawings of clowns dressed in agate costumes – perhaps I should try to interest the next touring circus to come to Cardiff in some digitally printed fabric!
Both the images above come from agates found in a gravel pit at Arcen in The Netherlands. The brilliant red, hematite-dappled one is a greatly enlarged passage a few millimetres across on the original specimen, while the other must pack more colour changes into a few centimetres than any almost any agate I’ve scanned: I have a feeling it’s going to find its way onto silk at the earliest opportunity.
More than happy with the quality of Henk’s materials I’ve ordered some unique materials from him – a set of eight large cabochons commissioned from a Russian polisher using very rare agate from Kazakhstan. Needless to say, I’ll be posting some images from them at the earliest opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment